PLP Mission & Vision
PLP’s Vision: To be a California leader in cultivating physician advocates who will address health disparities in under-resourced populations
PLP’s Mission: To provide comprehensive premedical programming designed to deliver individualized guidance for future physician leaders to successfully gain admission into medical school. We seek to cultivate diverse physician leaders who are committed to serving under-resourced communities, embody cultural humility, and advocate for social justice.
Program Details & Requirements
The program is open to 16 students per year who fall into one of two categories: Re-Applicants (students who have applied to medical school and did not matriculate) and First-Time Applicants (students who have taken most of their medical school prerequisite courses and need to strengthen their GPA). Students must meet program requirements.
- Maintain a 3.5 GPA
- Complete a minimum of 24 units – a maximum of 36 units at CDU (to be taken in Fall, Spring, and Summer)
- Communicate regularly with CDU PLP Leadership
- Participate in all required programming
- Complete an intensive MCAT course
- CDU PLP students will take the MCAT while participating in the program and will need an official MCAT score of 500 or more
- Abide by professionalism standards as detailed in CDU Student Handbook
- Pay all associated tuition/fees by the deadlines listed
* Tuition and fees are subject to change.
The program provides both lower and upper-division undergraduate science coursework to students through the College of Science and Health. CDU PLP students will enroll in the President’s Leadership Seminars in the Fall and Spring.
Students in the program will also participate in a longitudinal Premedical Series consisting of interactive workshops designed to support students with the knowledge, behaviors and skills necessary to become successful medical school applicants.
The 2023 program runs over a 12-month (3-term) period beginning in August of each academic year with an exciting week-long orientation and concludes in August of the following year. Curriculum/Programming will occur mainly during business hours with occasional evening and weekend activities.
The 2024 program will run over a 12-month (3-term) period beginning in mid-May 2024 with an exciting week-long orientation and concludes in mid-May of 2025 of the following year. Curriculum/Programming will occur mainly during business hours, with occasional evening and weekend activities.
CDU PLP students must be prepared to commit full-time to their academic coursework and to strengthen extracurricular activities in preparation for their medical school application. Limited paid hours in research or a clinical setting are permitted with prior CDU PLP leadership approval.
The program provides both lower and upper-division undergraduate science coursework to students through the College of Science and Health. Additionally, CDU PLP students will enroll in the President’s Leadership Seminars in the Fall and Spring terms.
Students in the program will also participate in a longitudinal Premedical Series consisting of informative workshops designed to support students with the knowledge, behaviors, and skills necessary to become successful medical school applicants.
A wide variety of extracurricular activities, including research, clinical, community service, mentoring, and networking opportunities, are available for students participating in the program. Recommendations on extracurricular activities will be personalized to meet the student’s application needs.
Students in the program will receive a formal MCAT prep course with additional MCAT mock exams, online learning tools, and books.
CDU PLP students will receive tailored advising throughout the duration of the program.
- Rigorous academic science courses
- Small class sizes with dedicated instructors & supplemental instructors
- Longitudinal Premedical Series with interactive workshops and guest speakers
- President’s Leadership Seminars
- Medical student supplemental instructors
- Research opportunities with CDU faculty
- Intensive MCAT preparation
- Participation in annual California Pre-Health Conferences
- Upon successful completion, student receive:
- Certificate of Completion
- Provost/Director Letter of Recommendation
- Personalized Premedical Advising
- Valuable insight/guidance from experienced leadership
- Guaranteed interview for the CDU 4 year MD Program
- Recognition at the CDU Annual Commencement Ceremony
- Eligible for 1 of 5 9-month Dr. David M. Carlisle Health Leadership Fellowship following the completion of CDU PLP