Resume & Cover Letters
Recommendations and References
Things to remember:
- Do include full contact information
- Do choose your references wisely
- Do write thank you letters to your references afterward
- Do ask for a LinkedIn Reference or letter of recommendation
- Do choose a manager, co-worker, or professor to be a reference
- Do give your reference a heads up or ask for permission
If you ask a reference to write you a letter of recommendation, make sure to provide them with:
- Introduction of why you need the letter
- An overview of your relationship with the individuals- how long you worked together, what the job was, what you did for the employer
- Provide them all the materials they may need to write the best letter!
- The deadline and contact information
- Provide them plenty of time to write the letter
If you are asking a professor for a letter, either for school or work, make sure to do the following:
- Provide the course you took with the professor, academic work, or any independent work you may have done with them
- Remember the semester and dates of the classes
- The industry/job/school you are applying too
- Provide a resume and cover letter
- Request a meeting if possible to discuss in person
- Include a transcript
- Any other helpful details
- If you are applying to school and you have a draft of the application, make sure to include it so the professor has a better idea of your goals.
Interview Prep Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Why are you looking to change positions?
- Do you have any questions for me?
- What are some challenges you expect the person in this position to face?
- How will you measure the success of the person in this position?
- What is a typical day like at (COMPANY NAME)?
- What are the next steps in the interview process?
- Ask a question you truly care about!
Understanding who you are will assist you in the direction you are hoping to take you career. Take a few minutes to take a FREE career assessment or personality assessment to get a better understanding of what motivates you and how your leadership skills shine.
Below students can find various resources about general information and things to consider that relate to the individual field of study and sector of the student.