CHARLES R. DREW UNIVERSITY
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU) is a private, nonprofit, community founded, student-centered University committed to cultivating diverse health professions leaders who are dedicated to social justice and health equity for underserved populations through outstanding education, clinical service, and community engagement.
The University, located in the Watts-Willowbrook area of South Los Angeles, was founded in 1966 in the wake of the Watts Revolt with a vision of creating a world without health disparities. Most students come from underresourced communities in the region and more than 85 percent of them report that they intend to practice and provide much-needed care in those underserved communities following graduation. CDU is also committed to community engagement through a range of public-facing programs, clinics, and services. CDU is also a leader in health disparities research with a focus on education, training, treatment and care in cancer, diabetes, cardiometabolic, disease, and HIV/AIDS.
NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FOR DIVERSITY
CDU is one of the most diverse universities nationally in terms of student and faculty diversity.
- Designated as a minority-serving institution by the U.S. Office for Civil Rights.
- Recognized by the Department of Education (DOE) under Title Ill Bas a Historically Black Graduate Institution (HBGI).
- One of only four Historically Black Medical Colleges.
- Charter member of Hispanic Serving Health Professions Schools.
- Member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities.
- 471 – College of Nursing
- 122 – College of Medicine
- 306 – College of Science and Health
- 131.1% – Black or African American
- 16% – Hispanic
- 14.6% – Asian
- 14.3% – Unknown
- 7.6% – White
- 15.7% – Two or more races
- 0.7% – Native Hawaiian or Other
- 68.7% – Female
- 30.3% – Male
- 1% – Unknown
STUDENT AVERAGE AGE
- 35 – Graduate
- 29 – Undergraduate
WHERE STUDENTS COME FROM
- 92.2% – California
- 69.9% – Los Angeles County
- 17.3% – SPA 6
- 7.5% – Out of State
- Mission Vision Values
- Consumer Information