Charles R. Drew University is committed to ensuring digital accessibility for users of all abilities. We are continually working to improve the user experience for everyone, and applying the relevant accessibility standards.
We make every effort to follow the guidelines provided by World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1) at the Double A standard. These accessibility guidelines help us work to make content accessible to a wide range of users. The colors, typography and structure of our website were built with accessibility in mind.
Accessibility relies on the following technologies to work with the particular combination of web browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on your computer:
These technologies are relied upon for conformance with the accessibility standards used.
The following points summarize the primary accessibility considerations that have been taken into account with our site’s design and development.
- Providing text alternatives for non-text content, and avoiding images made of text.
- Providing captions and alternatives for videos and other multimedia.
- Making it easier for users to see and hear content with appropriate color contrast and text size.
- Making the site functional from a keyboard.
- Giving users time to read and use content.
- Avoiding content known to cause physical reactions, such as blinking or rapid transitions.
- Helping users navigate content easily, by using appropriate page titles, appropriate use of HTML headings, a search function and a site map.
- Text is readable and easy to understand.
- Using human language in site content; avoiding indeterminate language.
- Content appears and functions in appropriate ways and uses consistent navigation.
- Working to ensure our site is compatible with various assistive technologies.
Accessibility is an ongoing process for a site where content is modified on a regular basis. Below is a description of known limitations that we are aware of as of October 2023. Please contact us if you observe an issue not listed below.
Quality and readability of user generated content: The CDU site is maintained by a set of key users. Through ongoing training and regular site audits, we strive to ensure the quality of content from our key users.
Document accessibility: In certain areas, our site contains links to PDF documents. We are working to increase the accessibility of these documents in their original creation, before they are uploaded to the site. This is an ongoing process.
Web forms: This site links to some third-party forms hosted on external websites. Accessibility conformance may vary due to the standards of these external sites.
Third-party links: This site links to a pages hosted on various third-party sites. CDU has limited ability to review or audit third-party site accessibility.
Alternative text descriptions: We are continuously updating media and imagery used on the site to ensure accurate alternative text is provided for users.
To submit feedback on the accessibility of the Charles R. Drew University site, please contact us using the information below.
Charles R. Drew University
1731 E. 120th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90059