Graduate Medical Education
Charles R. Drew University’s (CDU) 50-year commitment to the health of often overlooked populations is well- reputed and documented. It is no coincidence that many of the healthcare providers practicing in under-resourced communities in South Los Angeles graduated from our College of Medicine (CDU COM) residencies. With the continuous growth and development of our residency education program, our commitment to address the needs of the underserved and to do so with highly trained and committed professionals has only deepened.
CDU was designated as a minority-serving institution by the U.S. Office of Civil Rights and as a Historically Black Graduate Institution (HBGI as designated by Title III B) by the Department of Education (DOE). The University is also a charter member of the Hispanic Serving Health Professions Schools, a national nonprofit dedicated to improving the health of Hispanic people through research initiatives, training opportunities, and academic development. These designations describe a health workforce training institution that is uniquely positioned to educate a diverse and culturally aligned provider network.
CDU COM three residencies and one developing fellowship offer a distinct and varied array of clinical education sites and opportunities. The educational program takes advantage of the distinctive characteristics of the communities of South Los Angeles County, creating a unique offering of program concentrations:
- Patient-centered team-based health care of under-resourced patients
- Trauma-informed assessment and care
- Community violence as a public health problem
- Social and environmental determinants of health, illness and health disparities
- Health needs and resources of immigrant communities
- Community-engaged health equity research
- Democratization of health care for special needs patients
- Healthcare needs of jail and transitioning populations
- Medical-legal partnerships
- Healthcare of homeless youth, adults and families
- Healthcare financing, delivery systems, policy and advocacy
Residents trained in these programs develop knowledge, skills and attitudes that enable them to practice and lead health care design and delivery anywhere.
CDU COM is a graduate medical education (GME) sponsoring institution accredited by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).