Maintaining comprehensive health insurance coverage is mandatory for all full-time CDU students, and all students MUST be covered by an Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant domestic health insurance plan for the entire academic year, including summer and holidays. All full-time CDU students are enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan unless an acceptable waiver is provided by the designated deadline.
There are many insurance options available in the marketplace today. We encourage you to research your health insurance options thoroughly prior to making a final decision. For those of you unfamiliar with insurance terminology, HealthCare.gov provides a glossary of health insurance terms that may be helpful as you review and compare your insurance options.
CDU Student Health Insurance Plan Coverage Information
CDU requires all *full-time students to be enrolled in a health insurance plan while attending the college. To meet this requirement, you may either choose to be enrolled in Charles R. Drew University Student Health Insurance Plan (also called the “Gallagher Health Insurance”) or rely on your own coverage, if comparable. This coverage plan will cover you from August 2023 through August 2024.
2020-2021 Charles R. Drew Frequently Asked Questions
The total fee will be broken down per semester:
Graduate Students/Professional Studies
*Full-time for undergraduate students qualifies at 12 credits. Full-time for graduate/professional studies qualifies at 9 credits.
How to Waive/Enroll
1. Log on to: www.gallagherstudent.com/cdu.
1. Go to www.gallagherstudent.com/cdu.
If your current insurance plan is comparable to the Student Health Insurance Plan:
- A student cannot attempt to waive after the deadline and will be charged for the University’s insurance policy regardless if the student already has insurance or not.
- You will only be required to waive ONCE per academic year, which is the first semester in which a student begins taking full-time courses at CDU.
- The University is not responsible for additional fees for students that forget to waive, regardless if they have insurance or not.
- All waivers must be completed on gallagherstudent.com/cdu
- If you are an international student, you cannot waive coverage unless you are currently enrolled in a fully Affordable Care Act-compliant insurance plan through a US-based insurance company.
- Once you graduate, you will be removed from the plan i.e. if you graduate in December, you will have Gallagher Health Insurance from August 2023-December 2023
Office of Student Life
Monday – Friday, 8am-5pm PST
For questions about the waiver/enrollment submission process
Gallagher Health Insurance
Used to waive/enroll. Find detailed benefits information.
Access your Insurance ID Card (This is not mailed to you)
1. Go to www.wellfleetstudent.com. Enter your school name in the “Find Your School” search box.
2. If you have created a Wellfleet account in the past, log in.
3. If you have not created a Wellfleet Account, click “Create New Account” and complete the registration process.
4. Use the “Student Options” tab located at the top of the page to view, email, or print your ID card.