Resume and Cover Letters
Resume and Cover letters
Recommendations and References
Things to remember:
- Do include full contact information
- Do choose your references wisely
- Do write thank you letters to your references afterward
- Do ask for a LinkedIn Reference or letter of recommendation
- Do choose a manager, co-worker, or professor to be a reference
- Do give your reference a heads up or ask for permission
If you ask a reference to write you a letter of recommendation, make sure to provide them with:
- Introduction of why you need the letter
- An overview of your relationship with the individuals- how long you worked together, what the job was, what you did for the employer
- Provide them all the materials they may need to write the best letter!
- The deadline and contact information
- Provide them plenty of time to write the letter
If you are asking a professor for a letter, either for school or work, make sure to do the following:
- Provide the course you took with the professor, academic work, or any independent work you may have done with them
- Remember the semester and dates of the classes
- The industry/job/school you are applying too
- Provide a resume and cover letter
- Request a meeting if possible to discuss in person
- Include a transcript
- Any other helpful details
- If you are applying to school and you have a draft of the application, make sure to include it so the professor has a better idea of your goals.
- Interviewing Tips
Interview Prep Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Why are you looking to change positions?
- Do you have any questions for me?
- What are some challenges you expect the person in this position to face?
- How will you measure the success of the person in this position?
- What is a typical day like at (COMPANY NAME)?
- What are the next steps in the interview process?
- Ask a question you truly care about!
Career Exploration and Assessment
Understanding who you are will assist you in the direction you are hoping to take you career. Take a few minutes to take a FREE career assessment or personality assessment to get a better understanding of what motivates you and how your leadership skills shine.