What is student research at CDU?
- At CDU, student research is a unique opportunity that involves students working either independently or in teams under the mentorship and supervision of a Faculty Mentor.
- Research is important for students and professionals. It adds to the body of knowledge and propels medicine and science forward.
- Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science offers many opportunities to conduct research in many subjects. However, a student must assess his or/her own personal goals and what kind of research one wishes to pursue.
- The keys to having a successful research project is to build a respectful relationship with your research faculty, being persistent, and working extremely hard.
Benefits of participating in student research @ CDU
- Students develop analytical, innovative and creative skills
- Students gain knowledge on research terminology and processes
- Students gain confidence in conducting research
- Students become more independent
- Students work closely with CDU distinguished Faculty
- Students improve their written, oral and communication skills
- Students gain hands-on research experience
- Students build teamwork skills
- Students increase professional network
- Students gain professional skills to prepare them for further education and future careers
How do I get involved in student research?
There are various ways for students to get involved in conducting research @ CDU. Remember to start early, explore opportunities, and finally apply to the opportunity that matches your interests and goals.
- Applying to one of the U HI-SRC programs (Hyperlink to Programs Tab)
- Applying to other CDU student research opportunities. Please see links below
Contacting Faculty at CDU
If you have a specific professor or organization in mind not actively offering an opportunity, a well written email expressing interest in their work is suggested. Include any experience and capabilities you may have to contribute
- Browse through CDU Faculty
Resources outside CDU
- Research Opportunities
- Conferences (Where to present your research)
- CDU UHI Research Day (Link to Annual Research Day Tab)
- Western Medical Research Conference
- A nnual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students
- S outhern California Conference on Undergraduate Research (SCCUR)
- T he American Society for Cell Biology
- X ULA 13th Health Disparities Conference
- A merican Society for Microbiology
- A ssociation for Clinical and Translational Science
- A merican Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- Student National Medical Education Conference
- N ational Symposium for Undergraduate Research
- A merican Public Health Association (APHA)