CDU Enhanced Post Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Pre-Medicine
- Small class sizes allowing more interaction with academic professors
- Intensive MCAT preparation including professional test prep course
- Hands-on clinical experience
- Immersive community service experiences in underserved medicine
- Participation in annual pre-health/medical conferences
- Research opportunities with CDU research faculty
- Individualized career advisement sessions
- Longitudinal Pre-Health Series with interactive workshops and guest speakers
- Certificate of Completion*
- Committee Letter*
- Guaranteed interview to CDU-UCLA Medical Education Program*
- Recognition at the CDU Annual Commencement Ceremony*
* Awarded to students who successfully complete all program requirements. To learn more about Program Requirements, click here.
The program is open to 10-15 students per year who plan to apply to medical school, and fall into either of two categories:
- Career changers (students who have not taken any medical school prerequisite courses)
- GPA enhancers (students who have taken medical school prerequisite courses, but need to improve GPA)
The program is completed over a 12-month (3-term) period starting in August of each academic year with a mandatory week-long orientation. Students in the program must take a minimum of 24 units, and a maximum of 36 units.
The program includes: participation in rigorous academic science courses (including prerequisite and upper division science courses); intensive MCAT preparation, including multiple full-length practice tests and a formal test preparation course; frequent, individualized career and academic advising sessions with clinical and academic faculty; opportunities for longitudinal, hands-on, clinical experience; attendance of local and national health conferences; exposure to successful health professionals; longitudinal Pre-Health Series consisting of interactive workshops designed to equip students with the knowledge, behaviors and skills necessary to become successful applicants, and ultimately, successful medical students and physicians.
Students must be prepared to dedicate 30-40 hours per week to the program for classes, clinical duties, workshops and personal study. Hence, students should not have full-time employment commitments. Financial aid is available to students in the program.
Students in the program will also benefit from having mentorship from current medical students both one-on-one and through group activities.
Students will also be able to interact with other pre-health students in the various undergraduate and graduate programs while taking classes on the Charles R. Drew University Campus.
Students will be expected to participate in all required activities, in addition to independent and group study, to successfully complete the program. Activities will mainly occur during business hours, Monday – Friday 8AM – 5PM. However, there will be some required weekend and evening sessions.
Tuition for the program is $578 per unit* plus a $5,000 program fee per term. Tuition and fees are paid in three installments. All fees are due by posted deadlines.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, students will receive a Committee Letter, a Certificate of Completion, recognition at the annual Commencement Ceremony, and will be guaranteed an interview for the CDU-UCLA Medical Education Program.
* Tuition and fees are subject to change.
To successfully complete this program and obtain a Committee Letter, Program Certificate, recognition in CDU Commencement Program, and an interview to the CDU/UCLA Medical Education Program, each student must:
- Maintain a 3.5 GPA
- Complete a minimum of 24 units – maximum of 36 units at CDU
- Communicate regularly with Pre-Health and Academic Advisors
- Participate in all required program activities
- Complete intensive MCAT course
- Take MCAT and receive official MCAT score of 500 or more
- Abide by professionalism standards as detailed in CDU Student Handbook
- Pay all associated tuition/fees by deadlines as listed
To learn more about the eligibility requirements and how to apply, click here.
Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
For more information, please visit http://www.cdrewu.edu/Disclosures/PBPM