Eligible Applicants will be BOTH:
A U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or foreign national possessing a visa permitting permanent residency in the U.S.
- B.S. in Biomedical Sciences
- B.S. in Public Health
- B.S. in Psychology
- B.S. in Nutrition Science and Food Systems
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate
- M.S. in Biomedical Sciences (1st year only)
- M.P.H. in Urban Health Disparities (1st year only)
WHO ALSO HAS:
- Experienced either educational or economic disadvantage.*
Not already completed an equivalent or subsequent degree. (BA/BS degree exempt for graduate student applicants.)
A demonstrated interest in a health profession and intention to apply and enroll in a health profession training program upon degree completion. (Excluding nursing professions; current/future nursing students are NOT eligible.)
IDEAL Applicants will have:
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Limited exposure to health-related research & settings and / or limited access to academic and pre-professional resources i.e. tutoring, test prep, career workshops, mentoring, etc.
- Demonstrated connection or familiarity with medically underserved communities in the Los Angeles area
Instructions for All Applicants:
THE CDU HCOP SCHOLAR APPLICATION HAS 2 PARTS, ORDERED & DESCRIBED BELOW. FOR PART A, DETAILED GUIDES WITH INSTRUCTIONS & CHECKLIST ARE DOWNLOADABLE.
PLEASE READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS THOROUGHLY BEFORE STARTING ANY PART OF THE APPLICATION.
PART A: Individual Student Packet (ISP)
You will have to upload ALL 5 completed documents listed below, BEFORE you can continue to Part B to finish your application.
FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Your Student Aid Report (SAR) is provided upon completing the FAFSA; it should state your estimated financial contribution (EFC). Save or print your SAR & include in submission.
Complete Transcripts (unofficial or Official*)
- Transcripts should be from the most recent academic institution attended, & must show both your name & the institution’s name in print. PDFs are preferred, but physical copies can be mailed or dropped-off, see submission steps below.
- *Transfer students must submit OFFICIAL copies of all previous transcripts.
Resume (max length = 1 page)
- RESUMES should have current & past work experience & extramural activities, each with dates & brief details, going back up to 2 years or 5 jobs. (MAX length= 1 page).
5-Day Schedule (max length = 1 page)
- Your SCHEDULE should list & briefly detail your regular obligations & expected time commitments in an average 5-day (M-F) week.
Personal Essay Statement
- This is an opportunity to tell us more about yourself, and demonstrate your writing ability. Be sure to clearly & comprehensively answer the following prompt:
- PROMPT: Explain why you are pursuing a health profession. How will you incorporate your commitment to community in your career goals? Discuss your strengths, weaknesses AND what you have to offer as an HCOP Ambassador. Then explain how you will execute your commitment over a 4-year program.
- WRITING INSTRUCTIONS
- 750 – 1,000 WORDS in TOTAL LENGTH
- 1.5” SPACED 12 PT. ARIAL / HELVETICA Font
- 0.75” MARGINS (all sides) ONLY PDF, DOC, OR ODT FILES
*Per HRSA– “disadvantaged” applies to individual(s) who experience(s) either: an environment that has inhibited them from obtaining the knowledge, skills, &/or abilities required to enroll in & graduate from a health professions school (Educationally Disadvantaged); OR a “low-income family”, as defined for various health professions programs (included in Titles III, VII & VIII of the Public Health Service Act), as having an annual income that does not exceed 200% of the HHS Department poverty guidelines (Economically Disadvantaged).