We are excited to welcome friends and family to the CDU 2023 Commencement Ceremony. Please see below for important information for our guests for the ceremony.
Ceremony Guidelines for Attendees
The Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science Commencement Ceremony is held at Los Angeles Southwest College in an open-air football stadium. We encourage you to dress appropriately for the weather - large sunhats, caps, light clothing, stadium/bleacher padded seats, factory-sealed water bottles, etc. For the viewing comfort of all guests, umbrellas, and parasols are prohibited.
An adult must accompany children under 12 at all times. Children are not permitted to march or sit with graduates. Children remain their parents/guardians' sole responsibility during their ceremony attendance.
Only University authorized photographers and videographers will be allowed access to the field. No exceptions.
Anyone bringing prohibited items will be asked to return them to their vehicles, as we do not hold items at the gate.
Prohibited Items – STRICTLY ENFORCED:
- NO weapons of any kind (e.g., Guns, Ammo, Pocket Knives, Pepper spray, etc.)
- NO smoking of any kind (includes vaping and e-cigarette products)
- NO alcoholic beverages
- NO drugs or drug paraphernalia
- NO laser pointers
- NO balloons of any kind
- NO beach balls, frisbees, or other inflatable items
- NO confetti, glitter, or Silly String
- NO musical instruments, air horns, or other noise makers of any kind
- NO aerosol products/aerosol cans, glass, aluminum, or metal containers
- NO metal utensils or sharp objects
- NO picnic baskets or coolers
- NO lawn chairs of any kind (lawn chairs with top covers are prohibited)
- NO wagons or carts
- NO flammable or combustible items
- NO fireworks or explosives
- NO umbrellas or parasols
- NO Drones, remote-controlled unmanned aerial vehicles, or other motorized vehicles/devices
- NO animals (except ADA Recognized Service Animals)*
*Pets are not allowed in the venue—only Service Animals. Certifications will be verified before entry. Service animals must be:
- Trained, legitimate ADA and CDPA assistive animals.
- With the Handler at all times and remain leashed, tethered, or harnessed, or otherwise under the Handler’s control through voice, signal, or other effective commands.
- Vaccinated and tagged as a guide, signal, or service dog as legally required. Anyone bringing an animal to the venue will be responsible and liable for any damage or injury caused by the animal.
Any animal posing an immediate or direct threat to the safety or health of others will be removed from the venue. Emotional support or companion animals are not included as Service Animals and will not be permitted inside the venue.