- Rigorous academic science courses (including medical school prerequisite courses)
- Small class sizes allowing more interaction with academic professors
- Intensive MCAT preparation including professional test prep course
- Hands-on clinical experience
- Immersive community service experiences in underserved medicine
- Participation in annual pre-health/medical conferences
- Research opportunities with CDU research faculty
- Individualized career advisement sessions
- Longitudinal Pre-Health Series with interactive workshops and guest speakers
- Certificate of Completion*
- Committee Letter*
- Guaranteed interview to CDU-UCLA Medical Education Program*
- Recognition at the CDU Annual Commencement Ceremony*
* Awarded to students who successfully complete all program requirements.
The program is open to 15-20 students per year who plan to apply to medical school, and fall into either of two categories:
- Re-Applicants (students who have applied to medical school and did not matriculate)
- Academic Enhancers (students who have taken medical school prerequisite courses and need to improve their GPA)
- Career Changers (students who have not taken medical school prerequisite courses)
The program runs over a 12-month (three-term) period starting in August of each academic year with a mandatory week-long orientation.
Activities will mainly occur during business hours, Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. However, there will be some required weekend and evening sessions.
Students must be prepared to dedicate 30-40 hours per week to the program for classes, clinical duties, workshops and personal study. Hence, students should not have full-time employment commitments.
Limited financial aid may be available to students in the program who qualify. For more information, please click here.
The program provides both lower and upper division undergraduate science course options to students through the College of Science and Health. Limited non-science courses are also available.
Students in the program will also take a mandatory longitudinal Pre-Health Series consisting of interactive workshops designed to equip students with the knowledge, behaviors and skills necessary to become successful applicants, and ultimately, successful medical students and physicians.
A wide variety of extracurricular activities including research, clinical, community service, mentoring and networking opportunities are required for students participating in the program.
Students in the program will receive a formal MCAT prep course held on-campus.
Students will be required to meet regularly for scheduled advising sessions to assess progress. Additional impromptu advising sessions are also available upon request.
Students in the program will also benefit from having mentorship from program faculty and from current medical students both one-on-one and through group activities.
- Maintain a 3.5 GPA
- Complete a minimum of 24 units - maximum of 36 units at CDU
- Communicate regularly with Pre-Health and Academic Advisors
- Participate in all required program activities
- Complete intensive MCAT course
- Take MCAT and receive official MCAT score of 500 or more
- Abide by professionalism standards as detailed in CDU Student Handbook
- Pay all associated tuition/fees by deadlines as listed
* Tuition and fees are subject to change.
To learn more about the eligibility requirements, click here.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, students will receive:
- Certificate of Completion
- Committee Letter
- Recognition at the annual Commencement Ceremony
- Guaranteed interview for the CDU-UCLA Medical Education Program