Student Emergency Fund Disbursement Process
The CDU Student Emergency Fund is an initiative of the CDU Academic Senate and COM Faculty Executive Board. It is intended to help CDU students with one-time emergency grants. The grants will not be required to be paid back. However, the expectation is that once students are able, they will donate either the full amount or other amount back into the fund, so that the Student Emergency Fund is continually available for use by future CDU students.
The goal is to provide for an acute financial need that might otherwise result in their having to drop out or suspend their educational journey. We envision funds being used to alleviate a crisis in housing, food insecurity, or other, unexpected, and immediate needs.
The emergency fund is not intended for long term financial needs such as tuition, expected ongoing living expenses, and occasional shortfalls. We encourage all students to reach out to CDU’s Financial Aid Office and Student Services for scholarships, grants, and loans to finance their educational journey. We expect that applicants will have explored other sources of funding.
The process for receiving grants from the Student Emergency Fund is outlined below.
- Student fills out an application form made available by the Academic Senate for a Student Emergency Fund grant and submits the form to the Academic Senate. The maximum amount that can be requested is $1,000.
- (3 business days later) The Academic Senate determines whether the student qualifies for a grant from the Student Emergency Fund based on the students’ described financial need.
- (7 days after grant approval) A grant check is issued to the student.
- If and when a student is able, they can donate either the full grant amount or other amount back into the Student Emergency Fund here. Students can contact the Academic Senate Office for donation details; 323-249-5704, email@example.com.
Additional CDU Student Funding Sources
- Student Bridge Fund
- Financial Aid | Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (cdrewu.edu)
- Scholarship and Loan Assistance | Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (cdrewu.edu)
- Undergraduate Resources | Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (cdrewu.edu)
- Graduate Resources | Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (cdrewu.edu)
- CARES Act Grant
Laptop Loans and Hotspots