School of Nursing
Note: The ELM Program is currently accepting applications!
- Submission of the online University Application and a non-refundable $100 application fee.
- An earned baccalaureate (or higher) degree from a regionally accredited college/university or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor degree from a regionally accredited college/university based on a University approved foreign credential evaluation.
- Official academic transcripts from all previous colleges and/or universities attended. Transcripts will be considered official if forwarded directly to the University Admissions Office (do not send to the Department Chair) by the institutions attended, or if hand-delivered, with official seal intact. All official documents become the University’s property. Failure to complete the application or to provide accurate and authentic documents may result in the denial of admission.
- Completion of 9 pre-requisite courses; English, Sociology, Psychology, Nutrition, Human Anatomy with a lab, Human Physiology with a lab, Microbiology with a lab, Statistics and Speech/Communication (see specific qualifiers below).
- An absolute cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required;
- At least 75% on the cumulative HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam.
- HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam, Version 2: at least 75% on the
cumulative. https://evolve.elsevier.com – Please use the Distance Testing Department
Proficiency in English is mandatory. All applicants whose first language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL, http://www.toefl.org). The minimum overall score is 84; 24 is the minimum score in the speaking section, and 24 is the writing section minimum score.
- The applicant’s goals must be congruent to those of the MMDSON, the University and the applicant’s chosen specialty. A personal goal statement is required, which may be submitted online via the CDU online application system, in a .pdf or Word format. The goal statement is an opportunity for students to tell the admissions committee about their career plans upon completion of their graduate degree. Before writing a goal statement, prospective students should review carefully information about the Entry Level program on CDU’s website so that they can clearly indicate to the admissions committee that they are a good fit with the program.
- Three (3) recommendations using the recommendation forms found on the CDU Application website, http://www.cdrewu.edu/apply. Recommendations from family, friends or other students are NOT accepted. Recommendations should address the following areas: a. relationships with work (paid or voluntary) associates, b. work competence, c. communication and interpersonal skills with persons of diverse backgrounds, d. leadership skills or potential, and e. values, ethical standards, responsibility and initiative.
- Computer proficiencyis required (especially word processing and internet/web skills).
: The ELM program is not optimal for international applicants, because of the intensity and inflexibility of the first year of study, the need for language and culture familiarity, and the need for familiarity with the U.S. health care system.
ELM Required Pre-requisites and Qualifiers
All science prerequisites must be completed within 7 years of initial application submission.
- English Composition (3 units)
- Sociology (3 units)
- Psychology (3 units) Qualifier – Introductory psychology, general psychology and developmental psychology are acceptable
- Nutrition (3 units) Qualifier – Eligible courses must include the life-span of the human*
- Human Anatomy w/ lab (4 units)* Qualifier – If anatomy and physiology are combined, a minimum of 8 semester units will be acceptable
- Human Physiology w/ lab (4 units)* Qualifier – If anatomy and physiology are combined, a minimum of 8 semester units will be acceptable
- Microbiology w/ lab (4 units)*
- Statistics (3 units) Qualifier – Business statistics, biostatistics, epidemiology, statistics, patients and populations, etc. are acceptable
- Speech/Communication (3 units)** Qualifier – Group communication, storytelling, debate, interviewing, Spanish etc. are acceptable
All prerequisites must be completed at a regionally accredited U.S. Institution (exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis).
All science prerequisites must be completed with a grade of “B” or better (a grade of “B-” or lower is not acceptable).*
All coursework from non-US institutions must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency by an approved foreign credential evaluation service. University approved evaluation services are listed under International Students section of the University Catalog.
English Composition may be taken outside the U.S. in countries whose native language is English.
Will accept Spanish for Speech/Communication**.
The Nursing Entry Level Master’s Degree Nursing Program is approved by the Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)
Board of Registered Nursing
1747 North Market Boulevard, Suite 150
Sacramento, CA 95834
The Board of Registered Nursing, at its June 16, 2016 meeting in Sacramento, California voted the following action: “Place Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Mervyn M. Dymally School of Nursing Entry Level Master’s Degree Nursing Program on Warning Status With Intent to Close the Nursing Program.”
All Nursing programs are still open and accepting applicants.