Thank you for your interest in the CDU COM Psychiatry Residency. All applications to our program and supporting documents must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). Our Selection Committee will review your completed application and you will be notified of your interview status.
To complete our application process, all of the following materials must be completed and submitted through ERAS:
- Medical/osteopathic school transcript
- MSPE (dean's letter) from medical/osteopathic school
- Personal statement
- Curriculum vitae
- USMLE Transcript: A passing score on USMLE Step I and Step II (Clinical Knowledge and Clinical Skills) is required for all trainees prior to beginning a CDU/ COM GME program. To meet this requirement, applicants should have passed USMLE Step II (CK and CS) prior to placement on CDU/ COM rank order lists (prior to mid-February). In selected cases, with the approval of the program director and the Office of Graduate Medical Education, applicants may be placed on CDU COM rank order lists without the USMLE Step II (CK and CS) score.
- Three letters of recommendation. At least one letter needs to be from a faculty psychiatrist who can comment directly on your clinical performance in psychiatry (a departmental letter from your home psychiatry department is not expected; letters from individual faculty members are preferred.) Of the remaining letters, at least one needs to be from a non-psychiatrist commenting directly on your clinical work in a different specialty such as pediatrics, OB/GYN, medicine, etc.
Additional requirements for graduates of international medical schools (except Canadian) and 5th Pathway Students:
- Evidence of having passed the USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 exams
- ECFMG Certification
- California medical license or Applicant Evaluation Status letter issued by the Medical Board of California (also known as the "California Letter")
- Appropriate VISA, if applicable (J-1 visas are acceptable; H-1B visas are not acceptable)
The application deadline is October 30 but review of applications will begin in early October. Applicants are encouraged to apply early due to limited number of interview slots.
Interviews cannot be scheduled until all required documents listed above have been received. It is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure that his or her application is complete.
- Interview days are held from mid-October to early February. Applicants coming for interviews are invited to first meet with a group of current residents at a local restaurant on the evening prior to interview.