On behalf of the faculty, students, alumni and staff at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU), I thank you for your interest.
The Office of Admissions is here to support you in your college search and the opportunities available to you at CDU.
The CDU Advantage is what sets us apart from other schools. Our students, have the opportunity to take part in:
Research Experience/Undergraduate Thesis
Social Justice/Cultural Diversity Education
Global – International Experience: Comparative Health Disparities
Experiential Education – Underserved Community Engagement
Health Policy: Socio-Political-Economical Dynamics of Health
I invite you to visit our campus. While here, take some time to talk to us about your goals and learn how CDU can partner with you to achieve them, visit our simulation labs, health science library and maybe, you will run into Drew, CDU’s Mighty Lion mascot!
Choosing a university is one of the more significant decisions you will be making and my team and I will be more than glad to assist you.
I look forward to seeing you on campus.
Director of Admissions
Click on any of the program links below to learn more about the admissions requirements for each.
College of Medicine
CDU Enhanced Post Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Pre-Medicine
College of Science and Health
Graduate Certificate in Public Health Concepts
Online Application through the Public Health Application Service (SOPHAS)
- An earned baccalaureate (or higher) degree from a regionally accredited college/university or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor degree from a regionally accredited college/university based on a University approved foreign credential evaluation.
- Official transcripts from all regionally accredited post-secondary institutions attended (or evidence of a U.S. equivalent baccalaureate degree based on a foreign credential evaluation).
- Personal Goal Statement (2-3 pages), which should address the following:
- Interest in and potential for contributing to the field of public health
- Demonstrate how interests are aligned with the mission of CDU and the Urban Public Health Program
- Career objectives and if they include serving the underserved
- Self-assessment of interpersonal skills, verbal and written skills, computer skills, and general preparation for succeeding in a graduate program in public health.
- Three (3) Recommendation Letters (at least one letter must be an academic reference) using the SOPHAS online recommendation form.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Applications are reviewed once they have been VERIFIED by SOPHAS and it is confirmed that all required documents have been submitted.
ADMISSIONS DEADLINE: The Urban Public Health Program accepts applications on a rolling basis, but it gives priority consideration to those who submit a VERIFIED SOPHAS application by March 1 of the application year.
Mervyn M. Dymally School of Nursing
Post-MSN Certificate, Family Nurse Practitioner Track (MSN-FNP)
Application for Graduate Admissions
- $100 Non-refundable Application Fee
- An earned master of science in nursing degree from a regionally accredited college/university or the equivalent of a U.S. master of science in nursing degree from a regionally accredited college/university based on a University approved foreign credential evaluation
- Official academic transcripts from all previous colleges and/or universities attended
- Current unrestricted RN license to practice professional nursing in the state of California
- Completion of the following pre-requisite course
- An absolute cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required
- Proficiency in English is mandatory. All applicants whose first language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL, http://www.toefl.org/). The minimum overall score is 84; 24 is the minimum score in the speaking section, and 24 is the writing section minimum score
- Personal Goal Statement (2-3 pages)
- The applicant’s goals must be congruent to those of the MMDSON, the University and the applicant’s chosen specialty. A personal goal statement is required, which may be submitted online via the CDU online application system, in a .pdf or Word format. The goal statement is an opportunity for students to tell the admissions committee about their career plans upon completion of their graduate degree. Before writing a goal statement, prospective students should review carefully information about the Entry Level program on CDU’s website so that they can clearly indicate to the admissions committee that they are a good fit with the program
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation (academic/professional) - Recommendation form is required
- Click here for the Recommendation Form
- Recommendations from family, friends or other students are NOT accepted. Recommendations should address the following areas:
- relationships with work (paid or voluntary) associates
- work competence
- communication and interpersonal skills with persons of diverse backgrounds
- leadership skills or potential
- values, ethical standards, responsibility and initiative
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Computer proficiency is required (especially word processing and internet/web skills)