Charles Drew University Pacific AIDS Education and Training Center (CDU PAETC)
Pacific AIDS Education and Training Center at Charles Drew University provides health care professionals with the knowledge and skills necessary to care for patients infected with HIV in underserved and vulnerable populations.
Several CDU PAETC faculty possess particular expertise in substance abuse and mental health disorders that co-occur with HIV. As a result, many trainings focus on the interplay between these three dynamic forces.
All trainings offer continuing education hours for providers. The type of hours awarded depends on the specific training.
CDU PAETC is funded by the United States Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Minority AIDS Initiative.
- To improve the care of people living with HIV/AIDS by increasing the number of health care providers who are able to counsel, diagnose, treat, and medically manage persons with HIV infection and to decrease HIV transmission by promoting risk reduction
- To provide health care professionals with the knowledge and skills necessary to care for HIV-infected patients in underserved and vulnerable populations
- To increase the numbers of trained health care professionals caring for patients living with HIV
- To give health care professionals the skills to educate and counsel their patients to prevent the transmission of HIV
- To respond to the needs of emerging populations and the changing face of the epidemic, especially among of communities of color
Who We Serve
- Advanced Practice Nurse
- Physician Assistants
- Oral Health Professionals
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Professionals
- Other health care professionals, especially Ryan White CARE Act-funded providers working with hard-to-reach and underserved populations
- Other health professionals providing direct service to people with HIV/AIDS
CDU PAETC trainings build knowledge and skills through relevant HIV presentations especially designed for providers. Examples:
- HIV and Crack Cocaine: What Clinicians Need to Know
- HIV and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Never Mix, Never Worry: Interactions Between HIV Medications and Other Substances
- Engagement in HIV Care: How to Keep Patients Coming Back
- From La Botanica to the HIV Clinic: Caring for Hispanic Patients Who Benefit from Both
CDUPAETC offers assistance to providers and/or administrators on any number of relevant healthcare topics (e.g., clinic capacity building, service system delivery issues, engagement in care, etc.) For example, a primary care clinic would like to begin offering HIV services. CDU PAETC will collaborate with local experts who will offer advice on reorganizing clinic structure to accommodate new services. Click here to request Technical Assistance
CDU PAETC assists providers with increasing clinical competence through on-site and/or telephone consultation – available both for medical and mental health/substance abuse issues. For example, advice for a provider seeing a patient who has a challenging substance abuse issue. Click here to request a Clinical Consultation
Phone (323) 357-3402
Fax (323) 563-9333
Pacific AIDS Education & Training Center
Charles Drew University
1731 E. 120th Street, Building M
Los Angeles, CA 90059
Email Elissa Bradley to be added to the CDU PAETC training announcement email list.
Curley Bonds, MD
Wilbert Jordan, MD
Phil Meyer, LCSW
Elissa Bradley, MPH