Division of Cancer Research and Training
INTEGRATED CLINICAL AND TISSUE BIOMARKER DATABASE PROGRAM
The Integrated Clinical and Tissue Biomarker Database Program (ICTBD) at CDU has been a cornerstone to provide this much needed hub of resources for over 15 years. Briefly, the ICTBD has collected tissue specimens that include: breast, colorectal, normal and cancer tissue; fresh-frozen tissues; blood; DNA/RNA; bone marrow aspirates; and primary cell lines established from the fresh breast and bone marrow samples. ICTBD has matching detailed clinically annotated information for each participant, with over 60 variables with details ranging from personal history, clinicopathology, to 5-10 year outcomes. In addition the ICTBD has a collection of ATCC cell lines and has developed models for studying cancer cell biology, cancer stem cells, and in vivo models of cancer growth. The ICTBD can provide critical support to the research and training in cancer health disparities through support of Projects, training opportunities to utilize clinical samples and cell models for students, trainees, and early stage investigators, and support new developmental projects in the pipeline.
For more information, contact the Director: Dr. Jay Vadgama (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Co-Directors Dr. Yanyuan Wu (email@example.com), Marianna Sarkissyan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
PUBLICATIONS THAT HAVE UTILIZED/BENEFITTED FROM CDU-ICTBD (Select 2010-Present)
- Mishra DK, Chen Z, Wu Y, Sarkissyan M, Vadgama JV. Global methylation pattern in Androgen dependent and independent Prostate Cancer Cells. 2010. Mol Cancer Ther; Jan 6, 9(1); 33-45.
- Wu, Y, Alvarez M, Slamon DS, Koeffler HP, Vadgama JV. Caspase 8 and maspin are downregulated in breast cancer cells due to CpG site promoter methylation. BMC Cancer; 2010, Feb 4;10(1):32. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20132554
- Yin D, Chen W, O'Kelly J, Lu D, Ham M, Doan NB, Xie D, Wang C, Vadgama J, Said JW, Black KL, Koeffler HP. CTGF associated with oncogenic activities and drug resistance in glioblastoma multiforme (GBM). Int J Cancer. 2010, Feb 16. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20162579
- Yin D, Chen W, O'Kelly J, Lu D, Ham M, Doan NB, Xie D, Wang C, Vadgama J, Said JW, Black KL, Koeffler HP. Connective tissue growth factor associated with oncogenic activities and drug resistance in glioblastoma multiforme. Int J Cancer. 2010 Nov 15;127(10):2257-67. PMID: 20162579;PMCID: PMC2946420
- Wu Y, Shang X, Sarkissyan M, Slamon DJ, Vadgama JV. FOXO1A is a target for HER2 Overexpressing Breast Tumors. Cancer Research: 2010, 70:5475-85 PMID: 20551062; PMCID: PMC28964506.
- Sarkissyan M, Wu Y, Vadgama JV.Obesity is associated with breast cancer in African-American women but not hispanic women in South Los Angeles. Cancer. 2011 Aug 15;117(16):3814-23. doi: 10.1002/cncr.25956. Epub 2011 Feb 8.[Epub ahead of print] PMID:21305540; PMCID: PMC3139738
- Sarkissyan M, Mishra DK, Wu Y, Shang X, Sarkissyan S, Vadgama JV. IGF gene polymorphisms and breast cancer in African-American and Hispanic women. Int J Oncol. 2011 Jun;38(6):1663-73. doi: 10.3892/ijo.2011.990. Epub 2011 Mar 30. PMID: 21455574; PMCID: [In Progress]
- Chien W, O'Kelly J, Lu D, Leiter A, Sohn J, Yin D, Karlan B, Vadgama J, Lyons KM, Koeffler HP. Expression of connective tissue growth factor (CTGF/CCN2) in breast cancer cells is associated with increased migration and angiogenesis. Int J Oncol. 2011 Jun;38(6):1741-7. doi: 10.3892/ijo.2011.985. Epub 2011 Mar 23. PMID: 21455569; PMCID: [In Progress]
- Wu Y, Sarkissyan M, Elshimali Y, Mohamed H, Clayton S, Slamon D, Koeffler H.P, Vadgama JV. Loss of function for FOXO1A contributes to poor outcome in African American and Latina women with breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention: October 2010; Volume 19, Issue 10, Supplement 1; doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.DISP-10-A9
- Wu Y, Elshimali Y, Sarkissyan M, Mohamed H, Clayton S, Vadgama JV. Expression of FOXO1 is associated with GATA3 and Annexin-1 and predicts disease-free survival in breast cancer. Am J Cancer Res. 2012;2(1):104-15. Epub 2011 Nov 21. PMID: 22206049, PMCID:PMC3236574
- Wu Y, Ginther C, Kim J, Mosher N, Chung S, Slamon D, Vadgama JV. Expression of Wnt3 Activates Wnt/ß-Catenin Pathway and Promotes EMT-like Phenotype in Trastuzumab-Resistant HER2-Overexpressing Breast Cancer Cells. Mol Cancer Res. 2012;10(12):1597-606. PMID:23071104 NIHMS430191 PMCID:PMC3732195
- Braga M, Bhasin S, Jasuja R, Pervin S, Singh R. Testosterone inhibits transforming growth factor-ß signaling during myogenic differentiation and proliferation of mouse satellite cells: Potential role of follistatin in mediating testosterone action. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2012 Mar 5;350(1):39-52. PMID: 22138414; PMCID:PMC3264813
- Mishra DK, Wu Y, Sarkissyan M, Sarkissyan S, Chen Z, Shang X, Ong M, Heber D, Koeffler HP, Vadgama JV. Vitamin D Receptor Gene Polymorphisms and Prognosis of Breast Cancer among African-American and Hispanic Women. PLoS One. 2013;8(3):e57967. PMID: 2355487, PMCID: PMC3595235
- Lin DC, Xu L, Ding LW, Sharma A, Liu LZ, Yang H, Tan P, Vadgama J, Karlan BY, Lester J, Urban N, Schummer M, Doan N, Said JW, Sun H, Walsh M, Thomas CJ, Patel P, Yin D, Chan D, Koeffler HP.Genomic and functional characterizations of phosphodiesterase subtype 4D in human cancers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Mar 27. PMID: 23536305, PMCID: PMC3625360.
- Elshimali YI, Khaddour H, Sarkissyan M, Wu Y, Vadgama JV. The Clinical Utilization of Circulating Cell Free DNA (CCFDNA) in Blood of Cancer Patients. Int J Mol Sci. 2013 Sep 13;14(9):18925-58. doi: 10.3390/ijms140918925. PMID:24065096.. PMCID: PMC3794814
- Wu Y, Sarkissyan M, Elshimali Y, Vadgama JV (2013) Triple Negative Breast Tumors in African-American and Hispanic/Latina Women Are High in CD44+, Low in CD24+, and Have Loss of PTEN. PLoS ONE 8(10): e78259. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0078259. PMID: 24167614. PMCID: PMC3805609
- Chung SS, Giehl N, Wu Y, Vadgama JV. STAT3 activation in HER2-overexpressing breast cancer promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition and cancer stem cell traits. Int J Oncol. 2014 Feb;44(2):403-11. PMID:24297508.PMCID: PMC3898805
- Wang P, Vadgama JV, Said JW, Magyar CE, Doan N, Heber D, Henning SM. Enhanced inhibition of prostate cancer xenograft tumor growth by combining quercetin and green tea. J Nutr Biochem. 2014 Jan;25(1):73-80. PMID: 24314868. PMCID: PMC3858726.
- Sarkissyan M, Mishra DK, Wu Y, Chen Z, Sarkissyan S, Koeffler HP, Vadgama JV. Vitamin D receptor FokI gene polymorphisms may be associated with colorectal cancer among African American and Hispanic participants. Cancer. 2014 May 1;120(9):1387-93. PMID: 24510435. PMCID: PMC3999299.
- Pervin S, Tran L, Urman R, Braga M, Parveen M, Li SA, Chaudhuri G, Singh R. Oxidative stress specifically downregulates survivin to promote breast tumour formation. Br J Cancer. 2013; 108:848-58. PMID: 23403820, PMCID : PMC3590675.
- Pervin S, Hewison M, Braga M, Tran L, Chun R, Karam A, Chaudhuri G, Norris K, Singh R. Down-regulation of vitamin d receptor in mammospheres: implications for vitamin d resistance in breast cancer and potential for combination therapy. PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e53287. PMCID:PMC3544824
- Wang P, Vadgama JV, Said JW, Magyar CE, Doan N, Heber D, Henning SM. Enhanced inhibition of prostate cancer xenograft tumor growth by combining quercetin and green tea. J Nutr Biochem. 2014 Jan;25(1):73-80. PMID: 24314868. PMCID: PMC3858726
- Seyung S. Chung, Clement Aroh, and Jaydutt V. Vadgama. Constitutive activation of STAT3 signaling regulates hTERT and promotes stem cell-like traits in human breast cancer cells. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 30;8(12):e83971. PMID: 24386318. PMCID: PMC3875492
- Wu Y, Kim J, Elshimali Y, Sarkissyan M, Vadgama JV. Activation of Akt1 accelerates carcinogen-induced tumorigenesis in mammary gland of virgin and post-lactating transgenic mice. BMC Cancer. 2014 Apr 17;14:266. PMID: 24742286. PMCID: PMC4021211