Project EXPORT Cores
Project EXPORT Cores
Each Project EXPORT core provides a unique expertise and functions interactively to address the project’s specific aims.
The specific cores identified within the project are:
Two lead teams of researchers and the innovative projects they are conducting have been launched:
The STRIVE Program for Juvenile Reentry (UCLA) and Reducing HIV/STD Risk in African American Women with At-Risk Male Partners (FemAALES Project - CDU).
The FemAALES program is led by Dr. Nina Harawa (pictured) at CDU and Dr. John Williams at UCLA.
The STRIVE program is led by Dr. Norweeta Milburn of UCLA and her co-collaborator is Dr. Eraka Bath also of UCLA. These investigators are on track to pursuing independent research careers in the health disparities arena.
Dr. Bita Amani MPH, PhD. is a junior faculty member at the CDU College of Science and Health, has experience through CTSI working with local CBOs that serve and advocate for incarcerated youth, who participates in the ongoing STRIVE project. She is able to both learn from the implementation of STRIVE and to assist the project through her own community connections.
COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS AND RESEARCH PROJECTS
Approximately two dozen well-attended community conferences, presentations, and wellness events have been organized by the Community Core:
- February 3, 2012: The Building Bridges to Optimum Health Series "Environmental Justice and Air Pollution: What Does This Mean to Our Community?" 8:30 AM to 3 00 PM, at the California Science Center, 700 Exposition Park Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90037
- March 2, 2012: In partnership with the Institute of Medicine (10M), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Charles R. Drew University of Medicine & Science, HAAF hosted a workshop entitled "Public Engagement for Distribution and Dispensing of Antiviral Medications". It was the last (and largest) of a series of three workshops that were held across the United States. The other two were held in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Fort Benton, Montana. This public engagement workshop series aimed to engage members of the general public on the topic of antivirals' distribution and dispensing models in an influenza pandemic.
- April 28, 2012: 12th Annual KJLH Women's Health Forum. Partners include KJLH 102.3 FM radio station, Supervisor Mark-Ridley Thomas’ Office, public and private sector providers. Over 9,000 attendees. Los Angeles Convention Center.
- May 11, 2012; Promoting Wellness Beating Depression in Our Community, Magnolia Place, Los Angeles, California
- May 20, 2012: First Ladies Health Initiative. HIV/AIDS 101 presentation made during morning service at Crenshaw Christian Center. Los Angeles, CA. Over 5,000 in attendance.
- June 15, 2012: "Beyond Academic-Community Partnerships Advancing Medical Education and Research through Community Faculty' A Critical Review Of Charles R Drew University's Academic-Community Partnership Mode.
- June 22. 2012: "Health Disparities: A Two Decade Scorecard", Magnolia Place, Los Angeles, California
- Sept 19, 2012: HIV/AIDS and Safer Sex Training for YWCA Compton Empowerment Centers' Sexual Assault Trainees. YWCA Compton, CA.
- Sept 28, 2012: "Prevention, Treatment, and Control of Cancer in Our Community 11, 8 am-3:30 pm. Loker Conference Room, California Science Center, 700 State Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90037
- October 13, 2012: "Breaking the Silence What's Self-Love Got to Do with It?" A health empowerment/HIV awareness community conference for adult and teenage women. 9 am-3:30 pm, King¬ Drew Magnet High School, 1620 East 120th Street, Los Angeles. CA 90059
- October 18, 2012: HIV/AIDS 101 and Safer Sex Training targeting peer advocates; 4 PM to 6 PM. T.H.E. Clinic. Los Angeles, 90062
- November 7, 2012: HIV/AIDS educational session in partnership with the Magic Johnson Foundation's Point Forward Day. Student Lounge El Camino College Compton Center; Compton, CA 90221
EXPORT has supported the efforts and activities in several areas of research including areas around HIV, mental health, obesity, and cardiovascular disease that have resulted in over N = 31 publications in 2013.
Below are the most recent publications for 2013:
- Banta JE, James S, Haviland MG, Andersen RM. Race/ethnicity, parent-identified emotional difficulties, and mental health visits among California children. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2013 Jan;40(1):5-19. PubMed PMID: 23070565; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3568225.
- Bharmal N, Kennedy D, Jones L, Lee-Johnson C, Morris D, Caldwell B, Brown A, Houston T, Meeks C, Vargas R, Franco I, Razzak AR, Brown AF. Through our eyes: exploring African-American men's perspectiveon factors affecting transition to manhood. J Gen Intern Med. 2012 Feb;27(2):153-9. PubMed PMID: 21910088; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3270242.
- Bingham TA, Harawa NT, Williams JK. Gender role conflict among African American men who have sex with men and women: associations with mental health and sexual risk and disclosure behaviors. Am J Public Health. 2013 Jan;103(1):127-33. PubMed PMID: 23153143; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3518365.
- Chandramohan G, Kalantar-Zadeh K, Kermah D, Go SC, Vaziri ND, Norris KC. Relationship between obesity and pulse pressure in children: results of the National Health and Nutrition Survey (NHANES) 1988-1994. J Am Soc Hypertens. 2012 Jul-Aug;6(4):277-83. PubMed PMID: 22789879; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3595166.
- Feeny D, Spritzer K, Hays RD, Liu H, Ganiats TG, Kaplan RM, Palta M, Fryback DG. Agreement about identifying patients who change over time: cautionary results in cataract and heart failure patients. Med Decis Making. 2012 Mar-Apr;32(2):273-86. PubMed PMID: 22009666; NIHMSID: 498706.
- Ford CL, Wallace SP, Newman PA, Lee SJ, Cunningham WE. Belief in AIDS-Related Conspiracy Theories and Mistrust in the Government: Relationship with HIV Testing Among At-Risk Older Adults. Gerontologist. 2013 Jan 28;PubMed PMID: 23362210; NIHMSID: 461152.
- Gabrielian S, Yuan A, Andersen RM, McGuire J, Rubenstein L, Sapir N, Gelberg L. Chronic disease management for recently homeless veterans: a clinical practice improvement program to apply home telehealth technology to a vulnerable population. Med Care. 2013 Mar;51(3 Suppl 1):S44-51. PubMed PMID: 23407011; NIHMSID:496854.
- Garcia LA, Ferrini MG, Norris KC, Artaza JN. 1,25(OH)(2)vitamin D(3) enhances myogenic differentiation by modulating the expression of key angiogenic growth factors and angiogenic inhibitors in C(2)C(12) skeletal muscle cells. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2013 Jan;133:1-11.PubMed PMID: 22982629; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3513642.
PRESENTATIONS BY EXPORT SUPPORTED RESEARCHERS :
- January 23, 2012: Comparing Perceived and Objective Knowledge of Cancer Risk and Prevention: An Example of Community Participatory Research, Resource Centers for Minority Aging Research (RCMAR) Work in Progress Meeting, with Aziza Lucas-Wright, Dr. Mohsen Bazargan
- January 23, 2012: Lessons from Community Partners in Care (CPIC), Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) Community Engagement and Research Program Retreat (CERP) with Elizabeth Dixon, Kenneth Wells
- January 23, 2012:"Comparing Perceived and Objective Knowledge of Cancer Risk and Prevention: An Example of Community Participatory Research", Resource Centers for Minority Aging Research (RCMAR) Work in Progress Meeting, with Aziza Lucas-Wright, Dr. Mohsen Bazargan, Los Angeles, CA
- January 23, 2012:"Community Engaged Research in Practice: Lessons from Community Partners in Care (CPIC)", Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) Community Engagement and Research Program Retreat (CERP) with Elizabeth Dixon, Kenneth Wells, Santa Monica, California
- March 19, 2012: 7 Ethical Principles of Community-Partnered Research, with Aziza Lucas-Wright, Community Faculty Meeting, Los Angeles, CA
- April12, 2012: 7 Ethical Principles of Community-Partnered Research, with Aziza Lucas-Wright, &Keith Norris, UCLA Luskin School Dept of Social Welfare
- April 18-21, 2012: Community-Campus Partnerships as a Strategy for Social Justice Where We've Been & Where We Need to Go, Houston, Texas, panelist
- April 23 & 24, 2012: CBC Spring Health Braintrust and National Minority Quality Forum Ninth Annual Health Disparities Leadership Summit & Awards Dinner, Washington, DC, panelist
- May 14, 2012:7 Ethical Principles of Community-Partnered Research, with Aziza Lucas-Wright, D'Ann Morris, and Bowen Chung, Mary S. Easton Center for Alzheimer's Disease Research, Los Angeles, CA
- May 23, 2012:7 Ethical Principles of Community-Partnered Research, with Aziza Lucas-Wright, Charles R. Drew University, Los Angeles, CA
- June11,2012: What You Don't Know You Don't Know Safety in the Community, with Aziza Lucas¬ Wright, LA Biomed, Torrance, CA
- July 16, 2012: "Community-Based Participatory Research", Asheville, North Carolina, with Drs. Diane Rowley and Vijaya Hogan
- October 30, 2012:"What Community Partners Across the County Have to Say about Community-Partnered Research." Forum with Loretta Jones and others. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA.