Diversity-promoting Institutions Drug Abuse Research Development Program (DIDARP)
10th Drug Abuse Research Symposium Schedule
The Diversity-Promoting Institution Drug Abuse Research Program (DIDARP) (R24DA017298) has been funded by the National institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) since 2004 and was funded for 5 years in 2014. Theodore C. Friedman, MD, PhD is the program director and Vishnudutt Purohit, Ph.D is the NIDA program officer. The theme of DIDARP 2014-2019 is “Metabolic Effects of Nicotine: It Matters.” Our training theme is “Research Teams of the Future”
The overarching goal of the research, training and education programs of this DIDARP is to enhance CDU’s capacity to conduct substance abuse research with a primary focus on the metabolic effects of nicotine. The specific goals of CDU DIDARP are:
- To increase the number of high quality drug addiction research projects related to the metabolic effects of nicotine to allow CDU to develop expertise and acquire preliminary data to be able to compete for NIDA P01, P50 or R01 grants;
- To continue to foster interest in substance abuse research among under-represented students and other trainees by providing meaningful educational and research experiences; and
- To continue to enhance the research infrastructure at CDU to support substance abuse research.
There are currently three research projects on DIDARP:
- Project 1: Nicotine exacerbates high fat diet-induced hepatic steatosis and skeletal muscle abnormalities in obese mice. PI: Amira Sinha-Hikim, PhD
- Pilot Project A: Understanding the role of dopamine in binge-eating, nicotine and alcohol use: a translational PET study. PI: Amira Brown, PhD
- Pilot Project B: The association between secondhand smoking and diabetes, obesity and other chronic diseases. PI, Dulcie Kermah, MPH
- Achieving these goals will eventually help reduce the health disparities as related to substance abuse.
MIDARP hosts a yearly symposium showcasing research on substance abuse from CDU and its affiliates.
The 9th Drug Abuse Research Symposium occurred on Friday, September 12, 2014. Talks (.mp4), slides, pictures and Biosketches of speakers and abstracts of student presentations are available.
The 8th Drug Abuse Research Symposium occurred on Friday, June 14, 2013. Talks (.mp4), slides, pictures and Biosketches of speakers and abstracts of student presentations are available.
The 7th drug abuse research conference occurred on August 17, 2012. Talks (.mp4), slides, pictures and Biosketches of speakers and abstracts of student presentations are available.
The 6th drug abuse research conference. occurred on August 10, 2010 and talks and schedule can be viewed.The schedule of prior drug abuse research conferences can also be viewed.
The 5th drug abuse research conference occurred on July 31, 2009.
The 4th drug abuse research conference ) occurred on September 26, 2008.
The 3rd drug abuse research conference occurred on February 7, 2007.
The 2nd drug abuse research conference occurred on August 6, 2006.
The 1st drug abuse research conference occurred on July 28, 2005.
Selected slides or abstracts may be available from Dr. Friedman (mailto:mailto:email@example.com ).
For more information about drug abuse research at CDU, please contact Dr. Friedman at 310-668-5197 or mailto:mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org