Current Research Publications
Prevention (3 publications)
- Ganesan, K. Teklehaimanot, S. Asuncion, S.; Relationship of C - Reactive protein and Bone Mineral Density in Community Dwelling Elderly. Journal of National Medical Association, 2005;97(3): 329-332.
- Ganesan, K., Teklehaimanot, S., Asuncion, S. The Association of Hormone Replacement Therapy in Minority Women., Journal of National Medical Association, 2005; 97(1): 68-73.
- Bazargan M, Bazargan S, Calderón, JL, Husaini BA, Baker RS. Mammography screening and breast self-examination among minority women in public housing projects: The impact of physician recommendation. Cellular & Molecular Biology 2004;49:1213-8.
Substance Abuse (6 publications)
- Jacobson JO, Robinson P, Bluthenthal RN 2006 “A Multilevel Decomposition Approach to Estimate the Role of Program Location and Neighborhood Disadvantage in Racial Disparities in Alcohol Treatment Completion.” Social Science and Medicine, in press.
- 2. Jacobson JO, Robinson P, Bluthenthal RN. “Racial disparities in completion rates from publicly-funded alcohol treatment: Economic resources explain more than demographics and addiction severity” Health Services Research 2007;42(2):773-94.
- Cohen DA, Ghosh-Dastidar B, Scribner R, Miu A, Scott M, Robinson P, Farley TA, Bluthenthal RN, Brown-Taylor D. 2006. Alcohol Outlets, Gonorrhea and the Los Angeles Civil Unrest: A Longitudinal Analysis. Social Science and Medicine Volume 62 Issue: 12 pp. 3062-71
- Ricky N. Bluthenthal, Didra Brown Taylor, Norma Guzman-Becerra, Paul L Robinson 2005. “Characteristics of Malt Liquor Beer Drinkers in a Low-Income, Racial Minority Community Sample” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research Volume 29: Issue 3. pp 402-409.
- Bazargan, S.H., M. Bazargan, E. Hardin, & E.G. Bing. (2005). Alcohol and Adherence to Prescribed Therapy among Underserved Latino & African American Patients Using ER Services. Ethnicity & Diseases.15: 267-275.
- Bluthenthal RN, Jacobson JO, Robinson PL. Are Racial Disparities in Alcohol Treatment Completion Associated With Racial Differences in Treatment Modality Entry? Comparison of Outpatient Treatment and Residential Treatment in Los Angeles County, 1998 to 2000. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 2007;31:1920–1926.
Children’s Health (4 publications)
- Ogunyemi, D., B. Manigat-Wilson, & M. Bazargan (2006). Birth Weight for Gestational Age Patterns by Ethnicity, Gender and Parity in an Urban Population. Journal of the Southern Medical Association (In Print)
- Heslin KC, Casey R, Shaheen MA, Cardenas F, Baker RS. Racial and ethnic differences in unmet need for vision care among children with special health care needs. Archives of Ophthalmology, 2006;124(6):895-902.
- Bazargan M. Calderon JL. Heslin KC. Mentes C. Shaheen MA. Ahdout J. Baker RS. (2005). A profile of chronic mental and physical conditions among African-American and Latino children in urban public housing. Ethnicity & Disease. 15(4):S5-3-9.
- Bazargan M. & K. West. (2006). Correlates of the intention to remain sexually inactive among underserved Hispanic and African American high school students. Journal of School Health. 76(1):25-32.
Chronic Disease (13 publications)
- Zadshir A, Tareen N, Pan D, Norris K.C., Martins D. (2005) “The Prevalence of Hypovitaminosis D among US Adults: Data from the NHANES III”. Ethn Dis. 2005 Autumn;15(4 Suppl 5):S5-97-101.
- Bazargan, M., S.H. Bazargan, & R.S. Baker. (2005). Treatment of Self-Reported Depression among Hispanics and African Americans. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 16: 328-344.
- Salehian, B., J. Bilas, M. Bazargan, & M. Abbasian. (2005). Prevalence and Incidence of Diabetes in HIV-Infected Minority Patients on Protease Inhibitors. Journal of the National Medical Association. 97(8):1088-92.
- Bazargan M. Bazargan-Hejazi S. Baker RS. (2005). Who is playing doctor? -- The gap between self-perceived versus professionally diagnosed chronic conditions among the underserved minority. Preventive Medicine. 41(5-6):883-6.
- Tareen N, Zadshir A, Martins D, Pan D, Nicholas SB, Norris K.C. (2005) “Chronic kidney disease in African American and Mexican American populations”. Kidney International, (97):S137-40.
- Nicholas SB, Tareen N, Zadshir A, Martins D, Pan D, Norris K.C. (2005) “Management of early chronic kidney disease in indigenous populations and ethnic minorities”. Kidney International, (97):S78-81.
- Tareen N, Martins D, Zadshir A, Pan D, Norris K.C. (2005) “The impact of routine vitamin supplementation on serum levels of 25 (OH) D3 among adult patients with chronic kidney disease”, Ethn Dis. 2005 Autumn;15(4 Suppl 5):S5-102-6.
- Shaheen M, Echeverry D, Montoya M, Oblad M, Teklehaimanot S. Akhtar A. Relationship between Hepatitis C, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and inflammatory markers: Results from NHANES III. Diabetes Research Clinical Practice. 2006 Aug 16; [Epub ahead of print] (In Press 2006).
- Akhtar A., Shaheen M. Zha J. Organic colonic lesions in patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Medical Science Monitor 2006 Aug 25;12(9):CR363-367.
- Asuncion MM, Shaheen M, Ganesan K, Velasques J, Teklehaimanot S, et al. Increase in Hypoglycemic Admissions: California Hospital Discharge Data. Ethnicity & Disease: 2007; 17(3): pp. 536–540.
- Martins D, Wolf M, Pan D, Zadshir A, Tareen N, Thadhani R, Felsenfeld A, Levine B, Mehrotra R, and Norris K (2007) “The Prevalence of Cardiovascular Risk Factors and the Serum Levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in the United States: Data from the NHANES III”. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2007;167:1159-1165.
- Norris K, Greene T, Kopple J, Lea J, Lewis J, Lipkowitz M, Miller P, Richardson A, Rostand S, Wang X, and Appel L for the AASK Study Group. Baseline predictors of renal disease progression in the African American Study of Hypertension and Kidney Disease. J Am Soc Nephrol 2006;17:2928-36.
Workforce (11 publications)
- Ogunyemi, D., M. Bazargan, K. Norris, K. Wolf, R. Edelstein, R.S. Baker, D. Calmes, & E. Davidson, Jr. (2005). The development of a mandatory medical thesis in an urban medical school. Teaching & Learning in Medicine.17(4):363-9.
- Bazargan. M., R.W. Lindstrom, A. Dakak, C. Ani, K.E. Wolf, and R.A. Edelstein. (2006). Impact of Desire to Work in Underserved Communities on Selection of Specialty among 4th Year Medical Students. Journal of the National Medical Association. 98(9):1460-1470.
- George S. When Women Come First: Gender, Class in Transnational Migration. Berkeley: University of California Press, July 2005.
- Frankel R, Altschuler A, George S, Kinsman J, Jimison H, Robertson N , Hsu J “Effects of exam-room computing on clinician-patient communication: A Longitudinal Qualitative Study” Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2005, 20(8): 677-682.
- Ko M, Edelstein R, Heslin KC, Rajagopalan S, Wilkerson L, Coburn L, Grumbach K. Impact of the University of California, Los Angeles/Charles R. Drew University Medical Education Program on medical student intentions to practice in underserved areas. Academic Medicine 2005;80(9):803-808.
- Ko M, Heslin KC, Edelstein R, Grumbach K. The role of medical education in reducing healthcare disparities: The first ten years of the UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2007;22(5):625-631.
- Nyamathi A, Singh V, Lowe A, Khurana A, Taneja D, George S, Fahey J. “Knowledge and Attitude about HIV/AIDS among Homoeopathic Practitioners and Educators in India” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, eCAM Advance Access published on March 15, 2007, DOI 10.1093/ecam/nem018.
- Nissenson AR, Agarwal R, Allon M, Cheung AK, Clark W, Depner T, Diaz-Buxo JA, Kjellstrand C, Kliger A, Martin KJ, Norris K, Ward R, Wish J. Improving Outcomes in CKD and ESRD Patients: Carrying the Torch from Training to Practice. Semin Dial. 2004;17:380-397.
- Ogunyemi D, Jones-Quaiduo, Edelstein R, Wolf K, Calmes D, Bazargan M, Baker R, Norris K, Davidson E, Jr. The development of a mandatory medical thesis in an urban medical school. Teach Learn Med. 2005;17:363-9.
- Norris KC, Agodoa LY. The need for health professionals and scientists from underrepresented minority and disadvantaged communities. Ethn Dis. 2005;15(Suppl 4):S1-2.
- Norris KC, Agodoa LY. Expanding the minority biomedical pipeline: The NIDDK national high school student summer research program. Ethn Dis 2006;16(Suppl 5):S1-2.
Research Methods (8 publications)
- Singleton, A.F., M. Bazargan, B. Ilagan, L. Yan, & J. Eugenio. (2006). Using Resident Focus Groups to Improve Subspecialty Consultations in a Pediatric Urgent Care Setting. Journal of the National Medical Association. 98(9): 1478-1482.
- Baker, R.S., M. Bazargan, J.L. Calderón, & R.D. Hays. (2006). Psychometric Performance of the National Eye Institute Visual Functioning in Latinos and non-Latinos. Ophthalmology. 113: 1363-1371.
- Hsia SH, Pan D, Berookim P, Lee M. (2006) “A Population-Based, Cross-Sectional Comparison of Lipid-Related Indexes for Symptoms of Atherosclerotic Disease”. The American Journal of Cardiology, Volume 98, Issue 8, Pages 1047-1052 S.
- Calderon JL, Smith S, Baker R. ‘FONBAYS’: A simple method for enhancing readability of patient information. Annals of the Behavioral Sciences and Medical Education. 2007, in press.
- Calderón JL, Zadshir A, Norris K. Structure and content of chronic kidney disease information on the World Wide Web: barriers to public understanding of a pandemic. Nephrol News Issues. 2004 Oct;18(11):76, 78-9, 81-4.
- Calderón JL, Beltran R. Culture and Linguistics: two neglected variables in the health communication equation. Am J Med Qual 2005;20:179-181.
- Calderón JL, Morales LS, Liu H, Hays RD. Variation in the Readability of Items within Surveys. Am J Med Qual 2006;21:49-56.
- Calderón JL, Smith S, Baker R. ‘FONBAYS’: A simple method for enhancing readability of patient information. Annals of the Behavioral Sciences and Medical Education 2007;14(1):20-24.
Racial Disparities / Social Inequities (22 publications)
- Heslin KC, Andersen RM, Ettner SL, Cunningham WE. Racial and ethnic disparities in access to physicians with HIV-related expertise: Findings from a nationally representative study. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2005;20(3): 283-289.
- Calderon JL, Baker RS, Conde JG, Hays RD, Fabrega H, Fleming E, Norris K. Ethno-medical perspectives on clinical research participation: a qualitative pilot study. Medscape General Medicine 2006;8(2):23.
- Martins D, Tareen N, Zadshir A, Pan D, Vargas R, Nissenson A, and Norris K (2006) “The Association of PovertyWith the Prevalence of Albuminuria:Data From the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III).” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, Vol 47, No 6 (June): pp 965-971.
- Baker, R.S., M. Bazargan, & S.H. Bazargan. (2005) Vision Care among Underserved Hispanic and African-Americans. Ophthalmic Epidemiology. 12(1):1-12.
- Gupta A, Heslin KC. Racial differences in response to cinacalcet as a treatment for uremic hyperparathyroidism [letter]. Kidney International 2006;69(6):1094.
- Ganesan K, Pan D, Teklehaimanot S., Asuncion M, Norris K.C. (2005) “Racial differences in institutionalization after hip fractures”, Ethn Dis. 2005 Autumn;15(4 Suppl 5):S5-30-3.
- Bazargan, M., K. Norris, L. Akhanjee, S.H. Bazargan, J. Calderon, & R.S. Baker. (2005). Alternative Health Care Use among Underserved Hispanic and African Americans. Ethnicity & Diseases. 15(4):531-539).
- Lin J, Robinson P. 2005. “Spatial Disparities in the Expansion of the Chinese Ethnoburb of Los Angeles” Geojournal Volume 64, Issue 1: pp. 51-61.
- Bazargan, S.H., E.G. Bing, M. Bazargan, C.E. Der-Martirosian, J. Bernstein, & E. Bernstein. (2005). Evaluation of a Brief Intervention in an Inner-city Emergency Department. Annual of Emergency Medicine. 46: 67-76
- Gollin L, Rosanne C, Harrigan AP, Calderon JL, Perez J, Easa D. Improving Hawaiian and Filipino involvement in clinical research opportunities: qualitative findings from Hawaii. Ethn Dis. 2005;autumn;15(4 - Supplement 5):S5:111-119.
- Ogunyemi D. B. Manigat-Wilson, M. Bazargan & D. Pan. Birth weight for gestational age patterns by ethnicity, gender, and parity in an urban population. Southern Medical Journal. 2007;100:615-616.
- Gollin LX, Harrigan RC, Calderón JL, Perez J, Easa D. Improving Hawaiian and Filipino Involvement in Clinical Research Opportunities: Qualitative Findings from Hawai‘i. Ethnicity & Disease 2005;15(4):S5 111-119.
- Calderón JL, Beltran R. The Phoenix has risen but has failed to thrive: Hope on the Horizon for King-Drew Medical Center. Journal of the National Medical Association 2004;96(2):160-162.
- Calderón JL, Beltran R. Pitfalls in Health Communication: Health Policy, Institutions, Structure and Process of healthcare. Medscape General Medicine 2004;7;6(1):9.
- Duru OK, Vargas RB, Kermah D, Pan D, Norris KC. Health insurance status and hypertension monitoring and control in the United States. Am J Hypertens. 2007;20:348-53.
- Phillips R, Faulkner M, Gassman J, Jaen L, Kusek J, Norris K, Ojo A, Richardson A. Recruitment of African Americans Into a Clinical Trial of Blood Pressure Control; African American Study of Hypertension and Kidney Disease (AASK). J Clin Hyperten 2004;6:430-6.
- Sarkisian CA, Brusuelas RJ, Steers WN, Brown AF, Davidson MB, Norris KC, Anderson RM, Mangione CM. Using Focus Groups of Older African Americans and Latinos with Diabetes to Modify a Self-Care Empowerment Intervention. Ethn Dis 2005;15:283-291.
- Martins D, Tareen N, Zadshir A, Pan D, Vargas R, Nissenson A, Norris K. The association of poverty with the prevalence of albuminuria: data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). Am J Kidney Dis 2006;47:965-71.
- Norris K, Bourgoigne J, Gassman J, Hebert L, Middleton J, Phillips R, Randall O, Rostand S, Sherer S, Toto R, Wright J, Wang X, Greene T, Appel L, Lewis J; for the African American Study of Kidney Disease and Hypertension (AASK) Study Group. Cardiovascular Outcomes in the African American Study of Kidney Disease and Hypertension (AASK) Trial. Am J Kidney Dis 2006;48:739-51.
- Martins D, Tareen N, Nicholas SB, Jones L, Norris KC. Education, Motivation and Medication for African Americans: Bringing Hypertension Guidelines to Practice. Ethn Dis 2004;14[suppl 2]:s38-41.
- Tareen N, Zadshir A, Martins D, Pan D, Nicholas S, Norris KC. Chronic Kidney Disease in African American and Mexican American Populations. Kidney Int 2005;(97):S137-40.
- Norris KC, Agodoa, LY. Unraveling the Racial Disparities Associated With Kidney Disease. Kidney Int 2005;68:914–924.
Gender and Health (3 publications)
- Calderón JL, Pan D, Teklehaimenot S, Robinson PL, Malek J, Shaheen MA. (2005) “Multi-cultural Surveillance for Ectopic Pregnancy: California 1991-2000.” Ethn Dis. 2005 Autumn;15(4 Suppl 5):S5-20-4.
- Heslin KC, Robinson PL, Baker RS, Gelberg L. Community characteristics and violence against homeless women in Los Angeles County. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 2007;18(1):203-218.
- Ogunyemi, D., B. Manigat, J. Marquis, & M. Bazargan. (2006). Demographic variations and clinical associations of episiotomy and severe perineal lacerations in vaginal delivery. Journal of the National Medical Association (In Print).
Coverage and Costs (2 publications)
- Kominski GF, Heslin KC, Harber P, Hurwitz E, Morgenstern H. Economic evaluation of four treatments for low-back pain: Results from a randomized controlled trial. Medical Care 2005;43(5):428-435.
- Heslin KC, Andersen RM, Ettner SL, Belin T, Kominski GF, Morgenstern H, Cunningham WE. Do specialist self-referral insurance policies improve access to HIV-experienced physicians as a regular source of care? Medical Care Research and Review 2005;62(5):583-600.