Financial Aid

Financial Aid

How to Apply for Financial Aid

All applicants are encouraged to apply for federal financial aid at the time they apply for admission to an academic degree program or as early as January 1st of each year.

How to Apply
There are just a few easy steps to follow when applying for financial aid for the 2013/2014 academic year:

  • Complete the 2013/2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a Renewal FAFSA. The FAFSA must be completed online at Be sure to enter The Charles R. Drew Federal School Code 013653.  Please be advised this is a FREE application.  You should NOT PAY to have your FAFSA completed.
  • The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships maintains the right to request additional information as required to process student applications, including income verification, tax returns, non-taxable income certification, verification of non-filing of tax returns, verification of house hold size, number of family members in college, amongst others.  Specific questions about financial aid should be referred to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.  If additional information or documentation is required applicants will be contacted in writing.
  • The Office of Financial Aid will process awards for all student applications upon successful acceptance to the university and send an Award Notification Letter within 3-4 weeks.

For identification purposes please submit to the Charles R. Drew Office of Financial Aid a copy of your driver’s license or state Identification card along with a copy and social security card; and, if applicable for permanent resident or eligible non-citizen status, both sides of form I-151 or I-551 Alien Registration card (green card), U.S. passport or certificate of naturalization will be needed for identification.

In order to receive financial assistance, students must meet the following criteria:

  • Student must be enrolled as a matriculated student in an eligible academic program.
  • Student must be a United States citizen, a permanent resident, eligible non-citizen, a citizen of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands or a permanent resident of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Island (Palau)


Verification Policy 
Federal verification requirements apply to the following programs:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Work Study Program
  • Federal Student Loan Programs.

Applications selected for verification by the federal process will require additional documentation. Financial Aid award letters will be mailed within 2 to 3 weeks from receipt of all required financial aid documents.

If further documentation is required to complete the financial aid application process, the Office of Financial Aid will contact you. 
Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
or for quick responses


Types of Financial Aid Available
Federal Pell Grant: To be eligible, an applicant must be an undergraduate student and demonstrate financial need. The amount of the award, as determined by the
Federal Pell Grant Program, is in most cases based on
previous year’s income and current asset information
provided in the application.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): To be eligible, an applicant must be an undergraduate student and demonstrate exceptionalfinancial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowestexpected family contributions (EFCs) will beconsidered first for a FSEOG. Just like Pell Grants, theFSEOG does not have to be repaid.

State Grants: The State of California, through the California Student Aid Commissions (CSAC), sponsors several grant programs for undergraduate students. To qualify for any of the state-funded grants, a student must be a California resident and be attending (or planning to attend) an eligible school or college in California.

Cal Grants: There are three types of Cal Grants as described below: Cal Grant A, Cal Grant B, and Cal Grant C. A student can receive only one type of Cal Grant in an award year. Students must be registered in at least six units to be eligible. The deadline to apply for any Cal-Grant is March 2. Students applying for a Cal Grant must also file a G.P.A. Verification Form with CSAC by March 2, and a FAFSA application. The
Financial Aid Office has complete information and forms.

Cal Grant A - Assists low and middle-income students with tuition costs. To be eligible for a first-time Cal Grant A, a student may not have completed more than six semesters, or nine quarters, of college study and must be enrolled in at least six units of coursework.

Cal Grant B - This program provides a living allowance for entering college freshmen who come from very low-income families. This grant is intended for students who would be unable to attend college without such help. Awards are available only to students who have completed no more than one semester of full-time college work (16 semester units or 24 quarter units).

Cal Grant C - This grant is intended for students who want to train for specific occupations, vocations, or technical careers, but who do not have the financial resources to enter training programs. Programs may range in length from four months to two years. Students must demonstrate occupational achievement or aptitude in their chosen field.

Federal Work Study Program (FWSP)
The FWSP is a federal program that enables students to earn part of their financial aid award through part-time employment. To be eligible, a student must meet the eligibility requirements for federal financial aid and must maintain good academic standing while employed under the program. This program allows students to work a maximum of 20 hours per week. An academic year’s work-study award may range from $1,000 to $3,000 depending on availability.